“I don’t have time for breakfast!”
“I’m too busy getting my kids ready for school in the mornings!”
Does that sound familiar? In the morning rush, it’s too easy for us to just skip breakfast in favour of an extra snooze or to be in a frazzled rush to get everyone out the door and to school or the office on time. And then by the time your day’s activities start, there’s no time to eat… next thing you know it’s lunchtime!
Skipping breakfast can be detrimental to your energy levels. Imagine a car without fuel! After an overnight fast, it is crucial to replenish your energy stores so that your body and brain can perform at a high level. Having a breakfast meal that includes manuka honey is a great way to introduce vitamins and minerals in your diet and start your day off right. Chock full of vitamin B and vitamin C as well as minerals such as magnesium, potassium and calcium, adding manuka money to your breakfast can supercharge your day.
Here are 3 ways to use manuka honey in your breakfast:
1. Oatmeal with fresh strawberries and manuka honey
Oatmeal is a quick and healthy option for breakfast, especially if you use instant oats. Add flavour to your oats with fresh strawberries and then pump up the nutritional factor with a spoonful of manuka honey. Yum!
- Oats (we recommend either rolled oats or instant oats)
- Fresh strawberries (or any fruit of your choice)
- Chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts are great options!)
- Manuka honey
- Cook the oats, as instructed on the packet
- Once the oats are cooked, top your bowl with the fresh fruit and nuts. Finish off with a drizzle of manuka honey.
2. Banana berry smoothie with manuka honey
If you’re really strapped for time, a smoothie is an awesome go-to breakfast option! This quick fix brekkie smoothie is easy to make, delicious and good for you.
- 1 banana (sliced)
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup milk or yogurt
- 1/2 cup ice (optional)
- Handful of oats (optional)
- 1 tbsp manuka honey
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Pancakes with manuka honey
For a more leisurely breakfast on the weekends, try pancakes. These fluffy pancakes are a tasty treat, especially when topped off with fresh fruit and manuka honey. Pamper your loved ones with this yummy breakfast meal!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
… Or you could ‘cheat’ and use a pancake box mixture (we won’t tell!).
- Fresh fruit, sliced (bananas, strawberries, blueberries etc)
- Manuka honey
- Warm the milk (on the stove or microwave) until it is lukewarm. Add in the melted butter, egg and vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Combine the two mixtures together. Whisk until all ingredients are well-incorporated (no lumps of flour). Be sure not to overmix!
- Heat a griddle or pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot enough, spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan and spread the batter until it forms a 4” circle.
- After about 2 minutes (the edges are cooked and bubbles appear on the surface), flip the pancake to the other side. Cook until both sides are lightly browned.
- Serve your pancakes with a generous topping of fresh fruit and a drizzle of manuka honey.
Get inspired to have an awesome breakfast with manuka honey! If you’re looking to buy manuka honey in Singapore, try our Pure New Zealand Manuka Honey UMF 5+ and UMF 10+.